What is it?
Regenerative medicine is the process of replacing or “regenerating” human or animal cells to restore or establish normal function. It does this by stimulating the body’s own repair mechanisms to functionally heal previously irreparable tissues or organs.
Types of Regenerative Medicine:
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)- utilizes the body’s own blood platelets that can be concentrated and delivered to areas of damaged tissue.
Stem cells– can be harvested from bone marrow or intra-abdominal fat. Stem cells can become specific cells that can be used to regenerate and repair diseased or damaged tissues.
- Enhanced healing and reduced pain by focusing on treating the root cause rather than masking the symptoms.
- Increased functionality by healing and strengthening surrounding tissues of the joints or ligaments.
- Faster recovery. Growth factors used in regenerative medicine jumpstart the healing process of tissues and tendons leading to faster healing after an injury or surgery.
- Reduced risk of future injuries by increasing collagen production which tightens and strengthens the tendons in joints.
- Safe and effective therapy that can be used as an alternative to drugs or invasive surgery
- Nonpharmaceutical treatment option that can often be given in place of pain relievers, yet is safe enough to use with patients on chronic medications.
- Sustained effects are the goal with benefits of PRP lasting 6-8 months, and PRP plus stem cells lasting over a year!
Think your pet may benefit from regenerative medicine? Schedule an appointment today!